Is your chimney in need of repairs? Here are nine conditions that may be causing chimney damage and leading to costly chimney and masonry repairs down the road. Keep an eye out for these problems, and call a professional like Purcell’s Paving and Masonry if you think any of them may be affecting your chimney!
1. Weather Elements – Chimneys are constantly exposed to the elements, which can affect their condition over time. Chimneys can develop cracks and other damage from exposure to rain, snow, ice, and wind due to water seeping through those cracks.
2. Animals – Birds, squirrels, and other animals often build nests in chimneys. This animal activity can block the flue and cause dangerous levels of carbon monoxide to build up in your home.
3. Plants – Plants can also cause damage to chimneys. Vines growing on the outside of the chimney can crack bricks and mortar, while tree roots growing near the chimney’s base can damage it.
4. Creosote – This is a byproduct of wood burning in the chimney. It is known to be very dangerous. Creosote buildup can exist in your chimney without you even knowing it. This buildup can, in turn, be the cause of fire starting.
5. Misuse – Chimneys are not meant to be used for things other than their intended purpose. This includes using them as a trash can or dumping hazardous materials down them. Misusing chimneys or using them for incorrect purposes can aid in creosote buildup.
6. Construction – Problematic construction is one of the leading causes of chimney damage. If your chimney is not built correctly, it can cause cracks and leaks. This leads to deterioration of the chimney which can be pretty dangerous for your property.
7. Settlement of the Building – As your building settles, it can cause damage to the chimney. Cracks may form in the structure, leading to leaks or poisonous gases, or smoke spreading inside the house.
8. Cracks in the Lining of the Flue – Such breaks in the lining are among the most common chimney problems. A combination of moisture and creosote can cause such cracks. The lining protects the house from catching fire; hence, it is crucial to maintain it properly and change it promptly.
9. Chimney Crown and Caps – If the chimney crown cracks, this can cause many problems. It can get broken or damaged due to severe weather conditions. If this happens, it can lead to water seeping into the house or even animals getting inside the chimney. Chimney caps protect the chimney crowns, so keep an eye on them as they may need replacement.
If you have any of these problems with your chimney, it’s essential to get it fixed as soon as possible by a professional offering chimney repair services. They will be able to safely and efficiently repair the damage and get your chimney back in working order.
Purcell’s Paving and Masonry offers a complete suite of paving and masonry services in Hillsborough, NJ. Contact us for more information or your free estimate!